Nearpod, recently named EdTech Digest’s Company of the Year, is the most comprehensive Student Engagement Platform for K-12 teachers. Nearpod works with any classroom technology from tablets and smartphones to laptops and Chromebooks to help engage students with activities such as Virtual Reality, PhET and Desmos and with more than 7,000 ready-to-run lessons created in partnership with leading brands like Common Sense Education and the Pulitzer Center. Beyond classroom instruction, the company revitalizes teacher development through teacher Professional Learning content that cultivates classroom-changing strategies for educators.
Since its launch in 2012, Nearpod has become a leader (& teacher favorite) in teaching and learning with technology. Currently teachers in 3 out of 5 districts in the US use Nearpod.
Nearpod has offices in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Brooklyn, NY, and is backed by notable investors like Insight Venture Partners, Reach Capital, Storm Ventures, the Stanford StartX Fund, and the Knight Enterprise Fund.
In 2019, Nearpod acquired Flocabulary, the leading video and student creativity platform that uses educational hip-hop to engage students and increase achievement. This acquisition has brought together two of the brands most loved by teacher to help engage students in all K-12 classrooms.
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position: Data Science Engineer
As Nearpod’s Data Science Engineer, you are organized, analytical, and detail oriented with experience maintaining solid processes and data integrity. You are inquisitive and able to dive into the data to find answers to business problems. In this role, you'll be a key member of the team with an exciting startup with a strong social mission, and be in a position to make a significant positive impact on the business. You’ll help drive a wide range of projects.
- Working with the product team to collect, process, and analyze data scale to drive product direction helping improve the achievement and engagement gaps in schools
- Lead the team to increase the level of maturity and skill in analytical software development
- Formulate, implement, and evaluate algorithms for platform and application features.
- Developing clear documentation, including for summary tables, dashboards, ad-hoc reports and analytics tools.
- Making sure the data we use every day in our analytics products are accurate, and be an advocate for clean and maintainable data structures. You’ll build tests to make sure this is the case, and that breaking changes to underlying data models are caught early.
- Work closely with Product Management, and Technical Operations, and QA to develop, test, and deploy highly useful, high quality software
- Designing new and improving existing models to enhance our analytic capability
- Supporting the creation of self-serve tools & external integrations.
- Maintaining & enhancing our product usage tracking.
- Supporting other ad hoc analyses as needed.
We believe that good analytics help drive good business practices, and that the foundation is accurate data. The team is lean and is expected to be resourceful, thoughtful and creative when allocating resources, prioritizing, and solutioning.
Our stack consists of:
- Data Warehouse: MS SQL / Redshift
- Event tracking: Mixpanel / Snowplow
- Visualization: Mode Analytics, Tableau
- Other Tools: Salesforce, Pardot, IntercomGainsight, Sendgrid
- 3+ years of Data Science / Data Engineering or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of Python programming experience
- Preferably with tools in our stack
- Math or science background
- Clearly demonstrated organizational capacity & attention to detail
- Proficient in writing & debugging SQL
- Proficient in pandas, numpy, and/or scikit learn
- Comfortable collecting, organizing and presenting data to stakeholders throughout the organization
- Familiarity with infographic design is preferrable
- Strong organization - Our team relies on correct, timely analysis and the best way to achieve that is with solid data integrity. Your attention to detail will be a multiplier for the team.
- Integrity - Our team depends on your insights and analysis to drive decisions that affect the direction of the product and the company. Your processes and decision making must be conducted with a high degree of integrity and responsibility.
- Inquisitive - We hire eager learners who will pick up any tool they need to get the job done.
- Excellent communication - We value clarity and objectivity in communication. You possess excellent communication skills and the ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Competitive salary
- 99% paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for full time employees and employer contribution toward dependent care
- Company stock options
- Flexible time off and parental leave policies
- Retirement savings plan (401k) with partial company match
- Health & wellness stipend
- Office in Dumbo means easy access to our roof deck, parks and waterfront with postcard views